– The YBA motto for 2016:
“An organization’s ability to learn, and translate that learning into action rapidly, is the ultimate competitive advantage.”
– Jack Welch
* The YBA supported the Yelm Community Schools Replacement Maintenance & Operations Levy and their New Construction, Renovation & Safety Bond, February 4, 2016. The Levy passed, the bond did not. The YBA’s position was that properly funded schools produce high quality employees, future business leaders, and attract families to Yelm. Click here
* The YBA Board approves new Board member Marian Licxandru, owner of Pizzeria LaGitana, February 10, 2016. Marian replaced Molly Carmody who resigned pursuant to YBA bylaws when she was elected to public office as a Yelm City Councilor.
* The YBA adopts a months-in-the-making Strategic Plan, incorporating action items from suggestions submitted from public Town Halls, February 24, 2016.
* The YBA was the ONLY organization that responded to the City of Yelm’s Comprehensive Plan updates during the public comment period, which closed March 1, 2016. This plan has the potential to have a serious and lasting effect on the way we do business here in Yelm, and it was critical that our voice be heard. This comment also resulted in YBA President, Cynthia Schmier opening a dialogue with City Hall about strategic planning and the importance of supporting the local business community. Click here
* The YBA Executive Board attended the Yelm Chamber of Commerce Forum hosting Mayor Harding’s State of the City Address, sitting together in unity at the same table, March 8, 2016. In addition, The YBA Board met with the then newly-hired Chamber Executive Director Victoria Wortburg to discuss a mutually beneficial working relationship and a brainstorming of ideas.
* The YBA Board voted to expand the Board and interviewed two prospective new Board members, March 9, 2016.
* The YBA comments submitted to the city on the Yelm Comprehensive Plan were published in the Nisqually Valley News (NVN), March 11, 2016. Click here
* The YBA approved new Board member Kellie Petersen, owner of Gordon’s Garden Center, March 23, 2016.
* The YBA redesigned website went public in Summer 2016. Click here
* The YBA introduced a Twitter page featuring the latest YBA news. Click here
* The YBA rounded-out their social media platform with a Facebook page. Click here
* YBA rep. on the City Admin. candidates Round 1 Interview panel, September 8, 2016. Click here
* The Yelm Business Association and The Triad Arts Theater co-hosted the first annual Summer Arts and Crafts show the weekend of September 10th, garnering Nisqually Valley News (NVN) coverage. Click here
* YBA Executive Director Dan Crowe submitted a proposal to the Yelm city council on September 13, 2016, to consider their proposal to allow Food Trucks to operate in Yelm. The city will conduct the first city-issues Town Hall public forum in 12 years to include public comment on this proposal. Click here
YBA Exec Dir. Dan Crowe and his wife Molly Carmody were lauded in the Nisqually Valley News, September 22, for their purchase and restoration of the Masonic Bldg. Click here
* The YBA Board approved Jayne Cameron, owner of The Triad Theater, to the YBA Board, October 11, 2016.
* YBA President Cynthia Schmier presented a proposal October 25, 2016, to name the Community Center for the Wolf Family, who served Yelm with distinction for over 8 decades. Click here
* YBA’s Food Truck proposal was recognized and supported by the Washington Food Truck Assn. Click here
* YBA’s Food Truck Proposal Gets Town Hall airing, November 4, 2016. Click here
* YBA invited Yelm businesses to join Winter Lights decorations, November 4, 2016. Click here
* YBA Board appoints Scott Bradley, November 9, 2016, bringing depth of military experience to Yelm’s business community. Click here
* YBA members win Best of Nisqually honors, November 10, 2016. Click here
* YBA rep. on the City Admin. candidates Round 2 Interview panel, November 16, 2016. Click here
* YBA submits revised Food Truck Regs. Proposal, November 18, 2016. Click here
* 2 YBA businesses KING-5 TV’s Best of Western WA finalists, November 19, 2016. Click here
* Yelm Chamber joins YBA Winter Lights campaign, November 22, 2016. Click here
* Mayor Foster accepts YBA Board invitation to meet, December 14, 2016. Click here
– YBA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Dan Crowe, Executive Director, Founding & Executive Board Member, Crowe Law
Cynthia Schmier, President, Founding & Executive Board Member, Re/Max Country
Steve Craig, Vice-President, Founding & Executive Board Member, Yelm property investor
Bill Hashim, Treasurer, Executive Board Member, Citizens Action Committee
Steve Klein, Secretary, Founding & Executive Board Member, Yelm Blogger
Marian Lixcandru, Pizzeria LaGitana, owner
Jayne Cameron, The Triad Theater, owner
Kellie Petersen, Gordon’s Garden Center, owner
Scott Bradley, Military/JBLM Liaison